Friday 12 October 2012

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

 
Yesterday in the Mountains we had the most snow I have seen in all the 14 years I have lived here. At our place we ended up with 5 inches - without a word of exaggeration. We thought it was great and lots of fun was had in the garden. The baby bunnies in the next block must have had a terrible shock. This one ventured out for a quick snack then headed home- and stayed there!


 
 
My dogs each took to it in their own way. The German Shepherd bombed madly around the garden. Little Ruby followed me around until snowballs built up on her long haired paws and I had to take her in to de-snow her. My old boy Oscar showed his age and ventured out, had a bite of the snow then went back to bed and stayed there.




 
 The spring flowers and the lemons on the tree must have had a shock! Scroll down to Dilshara's spring post and its hard to believe I'm writing this a couple of weeks later.


On a photographic note, many of these photos were taken with the iPhone, mainly using Hipstamatic - the greatest app on the planet in my opinion. A post on Hipstamatic to follow soon. I can't say enough how good it is to have a quality mobile phone camera on hand for days like these. I did use my Nikon but a lot of water had to be wiped off it and it can be inconvenient, especially mucking about with dogs and kids in the snow. The iphone went in and out of my pocket all day. A quick wipe on my jeans and all was good. Also, the tiny lens was much easier to keep dry than the enormous surface area of my Nikon 18-200mm lens. On this occasion fun was more important than quality. And with the vintage charm of the Hipstamatic images I think a whole other dimension is added.
 

 The afternoon brought a few surprises - most unwelcome. The sheer weight of the snow ripped whole branches off trees up and down the street. Two of our favourite trees were stripped of their main branches and we lost a couple of others too. I guess Aussie trees weren't made for snow! I've never seen it happen in the UK, but it made we wonder what happens in the Snowy Mountains of NSW and Victoria each year. Hmm?

I wanted to include some photos of the town, but when my daughter and I headed out a quick thaw was starting and trees were dropping snowballs all around us. There were lots of giggles and darting out the way, but when I noticed the number of branches snapped from the gum trees I thought better of it and we headed back to our power cut home to boil a pan of water (love a gas cooker) and have a hot cuppa.


My little girl fell asleep in the afternoon in a very uncustomary way. I figured she had so much fun in the snow she was pooped - or should that be snooped?

    LB

No comments :

Post a Comment